- Like Janie, I share the same middle name with one of my siblings. Though its not Lyn. Its Francis. It was my dad’s first name. And he had HIS dad’s first name as a middle name. Must be a Betz-thing.
2. I once sang “Country Roads Take Me Home” doing karaoke during a business trip to Japan.
3. At a grade school recital rehearsal (I think it was 3rd grade), I was stung by a bee, passed out, fell off the riser I was on, falling onto the stage floor. This prompted Ephraim Nieves to shout, “O my God, he’s DEAD!”
4. I once drove from Chapel Hill, NC to Camden NJ and never once used my turn signal. (It was a Jersey-driver test of honor sort of thing)
5. Eight states left! Based on Cori’s post the other day, I looked into World66 and was surprised when I input the states that I have been to. I know I was in Oregon during a family trip when I was a tyke, but I don’t really remember it, so I didn’t think I should count it.
6. My brother gave me my first driving lesson in his slick 1977 Monte Carlo (it had a landau roof — classy). The first thing I did was drive up onto the curb and nearly into a telephone pole. My dad completed my driver’s education.
7. I participated in high school musicals. The photos from my senior year performance in “Pippin” are ashes.
8. I interviewed for a position at DuPont after I earned my PhD with the one of the biggest hangovers of my life (my old college roommate lived about a block from the hotel I stayed at – we stayed up drinking). During the seminar portion of the talk, I couldn’t get nervous, b/c I was so focused on staying coherent. I aced it and got the position.
9. In grad school (and at various places since), my nickname was “Bubba”. A good percentage of people that know me, still use that as their primary way to address me.
10. The first movie I can ever remember going to see (I think I was ~5 yo) was Disney’s “Song of the South” — apparently I went around singing Zipidee-doo-dah for weeks.
Open tagging-season for all that would like to participate!