The scores are in and the Roomie Cup has been wrested back to the West Coast! Comments in red.
This week’s Roomie Cup picks had an oddity – there was no line (at the MGM-Mirage at least) on this week’s Green Bay-Miami game because of GB QB Aaron Rodgers’ uncertain status after sustaining a concussion in last week’s game. That left Dave (the current Roomie Cup holder) with a decision: pick 7 games or pick 6. He chose 7 – mostly I think so that he could pick his Pats.
Here are this week’s picks. My commentary in italic.
MGM-Mirage Oct. 17-18
Dave’s Picks (pick in BOLD)
1. San Diego at St. Louis SDG -8 LOSS — why isn’t Norv Turner fired yet?
3. Baltimore at New England NWE -2½ WIN
5. Atlanta at Philadelphia PHI -3 LOSS No one was more surprised than me at the Eagles smushing of ATL
7. Seattle at Chicago CHI -7 WIN Good pick by Dave
9. Cleveland at Pittsburgh PIT -13½ WIN
11. Oakland at San Francisco SFO -7 LOSS
13. Indianapolis at Washington IND -3½ LOSS — half-a-point killed him.
I didn’t really disagree with any of Dave’s picks other than Seattle at Chicago. The Seahawks have been terrible on the road this year. And while the Bears have won ugly, I think they’ll cover this game. We’ll see if I can pick up a point there.
This week: Dave 3-4
Steve’s Picks (pick in BOLD)
2. Kansas City at Houston HOU -4½ Is Houston over-rated? Are the Chiefs actually good? I think the answer to both of those is a definite maybe. I think Houston at home is a good play. LOSS Killed by half-a-point as well.
4. New Orleans at Tampa Bay NOR -4½ The champs have been damn underwhelming this year and are 0-5 ATS. The Bucs soft “D” may provide the end to this particular schnide. WIN Good call by me.
6. Detroit at N.Y. Giants NYG -10 As an Eagles fan, it’s hard to pick the G-men and 10 is big line. But the Lions are terrible on the road, and their blowout of the Rams smelled like a fluke. LOSS Just like the Giants to screw me — win, but not cover.
8. Miami at Green Bay off
10. N.Y. Jets at Denver NYJ -3 I waffled a lot on this pick. Everyone’s like “oh the Jets are great!” – well, they’ve won, but it’s been pretty ugly at times. Still Denver seems a little lost, and 3 isn’t that much to ask. WIN It took them a while, but they covered.
12. Dallas at Minnesota MIN -2 In what might amount to an elimination game, my head said go with the ‘Boys, but I just can’t. I just can’t. WIN Wow — was that an ugly game.
14. Tennessee at Jacksonville TEN -3 Not much clue on either of these teams. Jacksonville’s been a bit of Jeckyl and Hyde, but when in doubt, go with the home-underdog. LOSS Clearly, should have gone with the Steph/Jim favoritism!
This week: Steve 3-3
Final score: Steve 7, Dave 6
ROOMIE CUP TO ME!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHH!