It was with a sad realization today that I realized that I’m verly likely to get through my month of Blogshorts before I finish my 30 Days of Books list. Sigh. Well, onward.
Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most
Of course, I would like to say that I should relate to someone like Atticus Finch – steadfast, upright, a hero even. But that just doesn’t seem right. I pondered this the other day, and then I pondered it over a martini, and then I pondered it over a scotch –and then I realized who I thought I could relate to the most:
Dashiell Hammet’s Nick Charles
Let’s see Nick Charles is a smart, irreverent, wise-ass who loves a good party, a good joke, a good drink, his (equally smart and wise-cracking) Beloved and his dog. If there’s any character I can aspire to — it has to be Nick.
- Nora: Say, how many drinks have you had?
- Nick: This will make six martinis.
- Nora (to waiter): All right. Will you bring me five more martinis, Leo? And line them right up here.
Of course, this answer is a bit of a dodge as Nick is generally more thought of as William Powell’s portrayal in six movies rather than in Hammet’s lone potboiler, but I’m going with it. Nick wouldn’t mind. Though I suppose I should start wearing more tuxedoes and double-breasted suits than shorts and t-shirts.
- Nick Charles: Who was that?
- Nora Charles: Oh, you wouldn’t know them, darling. They’re respectable.