There’s a fun meme that has gone around for the past couple days about asking folks interview questions. I first heard about it from Steph.
Here’s a quick run down on how to play and her original post here:
- If you’re interested in getting interviewed by me, leave me a comment saying, “Interview Me.” Please DM me your e-mail address if it is not in your profile.
- I will respond by emailing you five questions. (I get to pick the questions.)
- You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
- You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same manner.
1) If you could read one book again for the first time what would it be?
Boy, is this a tough one. I have to say it would be Stephen R. Donaldson’s “Lord Foul’s Bane”. Donaldson wrote what is essentially the anti-“Lord of the Rings” and upended the Tolkienian standards and expectations of fantasy. “Bane” was not his best book, but reading it was a revelation.
2) What is your favorite holiday cocktail?
The one in front of me. No, no. That’s not fair. I think my favorite is Aztec Eggnog which is made from Mexican spicy hot chocolate, eggnog and tequila. I don’t make it as often as I’d like. The other would be a Cranberry Mint Martini, which is bright red and cheerful and great for any holiday get-together.
3) What movie are you most anticipating seeing in 2012?
I should say “The Hobbit” but the trailer looked a little too comfortable and calculated. I’m going with “Prometheus”.
4) Christmas dinner – Ham or Turkey?
Of the two, turkey is THE Ancestral Betz tradition, but these days I’m all about the bone-in rib roast, baby.
5) Which would you rather survive – zombie apocalypse or alien invasion?
The question is posed as if I am a survivor, which if you’ve ever observed me trying to do home repairs, you would severely doubt as a conclusion. I would rather survive the zombies, because with them at least you’re still the smartest, most capable being. With the aliens, you’re probably fighting someone smarter and better-equipped.
1) If you could erase one bit of pop culture from the world, what would it be?
I think there are too many to count, but anything revolving around someone named Kardashian.
2) What’s the best book you read this year?
Easy. “When The Killing’s Done” by T.C. Boyle. Everyone I give book-gifts to is going to get it. Full post on that later.
3) If you could make everyone read one book/watch one movie/TV show, what would it be?
I’ll give you a book AND movie duo because they’re both very strong: “To Kill a Mockingbird” should be required viewing and reading for everyone.
4) Romero zombies or fast ones?
Romero zombies for sure. Zombies win by two things: having huge numbers and being relentless. If you’re smart and prepared, you can beat zombies. At least for a while. That’s why the “28 Days Later” rage-zombies scared the crap out of me so badly.
5) If you could get one gadget from Back to the Future II, what would it be?
I have never seen BthFII or III (like “Ghostbusters”, I only count the first one), so I don’t know what gadgets there were, but I sure wouldn’t mind a time-traveling DeLorean. Now all I need is a way to make 1.21 gigawatts!
1) Is there a book or movie that you read/watch repeatedly? Sort of the equivalent of a literary or cinematic blanky?
There are several movies that I will always stop and tune into. “Jaws” and “Jurassic Park”, most commonly. They always make me happy, especially since I can recite the script along with them. I have too many things on my to-read list to go back to books too often, sadly enough. And it’s blankie.
2) If you could write yourself into one novel or movie, which one would it be?
Oddly coming back to a theme – I’d write myself into “Jurassic Park” and would be the dashing molecular biologist that saves the day and gets the girl.
3) If you could copy and paste one character from one novel or film into another, which character? And into which novel or film?
I would swap Boromir from the “Lord of the Rings” films into the TV adaptation of “Game of Thrones” and watch Sean Bean look really confused.
4) If you could have one novelist rewrite an existing novel, whom and which would you choose?
I would have China Mieville, who has the most unique voice in fantasy these days, take a crack at “The Martian Chronicles”.
5) What is your favorite “guilty pleasure” movie? Meaning, which movie can you watch over and over, and laugh yourself half mad, and yet you know it’s not empirically good?
Easy. “Dude, Where’s My Car”… Dude!!! Sweet!!! Dude!!! Sweet!!