Okay — so I don't feel like I'm going to throw-up anymore.
First off — good job. Not a great job, but a solid effort, especially after the 1st quarter. So, some thoughts…
- Thank God, no black jerseys.
- How good was that drive by the NYG to open the game? They never really repeated it, but it was textbook. A theme that was evident from that drive that continued to play-out throughout the game was that the Giants did a great job of picking up the blitz.
- Three straight 3-and-outs to open the game — oof. Garcia looked nervous — and they dodged a couple of "shoulda been" INTs on some poorly thrown passes. The defense earned their paychecks by stiffening up when the NYG had great field position in the 1st quarter. They were lucky to only be down 7-0.
Westbrook's run in the 2nd quarter was a fantastic use of changing gears — bursting around the end and then throttling back to let his blocking catch up.
- The Birdz were damn lucky to not get a costly personal foul on Runyan during the next drive — Runyan stupidly went after two Giants players, but someone on the GMen pushed back (perhaps even more stupidly) off-setting the penalties and letting a crucial 3rd down conversion stand. Soon after Garcia probably made his best pass of the night hitting Donte Stallworth for a nice TD.
- Is there a Clock Management 101 course that I can send Big Red to?? Though the Giants did a horrid job of handling the clock in the 2nd half.
- The Eagles missed a big opportunity to grab a hold of the game in the 3rd quarter — frittering away the momentum at the end of the first half. Most of the 3rd quarter was pretty quiet, and both teams seemed like they were playing without much intensity. Maybe it was the rain…
- A bad pass interference (bad meaning obvious — not like bad call) on Brown set up the Giants to get back into the game (though held to a FG) and I thought they did a good job on the next drive (converting a 1st down on a drive that at one point was 2-and-30!! I think I briefly went insane for a moment there…) — and Eli seemed to get out of his mostly-game-long funk to hit Burress for his 2nd TD to tie it.
The Eagles offense heard the wake-up call and moved the ball effectively in the final drive, setting up a heart-stopping FG by Akers to win the game with no time remaining. Wow.
Game ball to Westbrook and one to Reggie Brown who made some very clutch third-down receptions. Game ball also to Tiki Barber who had a very good game — one big run, a couple of good ones, and always seeming to squeak out a couple of extra yards when you thought you had him down. Tom Coughlin's going to miss him next year — oh, that's right — he should be gone by Wednesday, I would think.
"Goat" may be too strong of a word for Eli Manning, but he went away in the big chunk of time between the first drive (where he looked great) and the last two Giant drives. I don't know what you do with him — is he an acceptable NFL quarterback? Yes. Is a good leader?? No. Is he getting better?? I don't think so.
And so onto a re-match with New Orleans… the Saints have a more balanced offense — so the defense will have to get better pressure on Brees and Garcia can't afford the amount of time he looked out-of-sync.